Author Topic: Fort Wars 4.0 for TWC+TAD  (Read 25177 times)

pftq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fort Wars 4.0 for TWC+TAD
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
Version 4.0 has been finished for those with both TWC+TAD expansion packs.  It is mainly just a porting of the script so that it works on TAD (ES changed a number of IDs again so you can't just load 3.3).  You can download it here:
http://www.pftq.com/fortwars/dl.php

Simiarly, there is now a third ladder keeping track of games and player ratings:
http://www.pftq.com/fortwars/ladder/?game=age3y

When I can get enough players again to help test and balance, I might consider actually giving the Asian civilizations some unique bonuses.  Otherwise, I don't want to risk unbalancing the map by assigning them anything new right now.

Change overview:
[4.0]
- Edited by pftq
- AOE3 TWC+TAD 1.03, May 3 2011
- Civ bonuses for Chinese, Japanese, and Indian are the same as Aztec, Sioux, and Iroquois respectively (at least until more players are around again to help test and balance new civ ideas).
- Changed instructions font to be cleaner and less serif-y.
- Fixed Tech and Unit Class IDs changed by the TAD expansion.
- Fixed unit stats for AOE3 TAD:
   - Cassador HP increased to 105 from 85.
   - Grizzly Bear HP at 220 HP instead of 300.
   - Kanya Horseman at 285 HP instead of 270.
- Fixed Iroquois rams not receiving speed changes due to having the same ID as railroad workers.

Cherokee

• View Profile
Re: Fort Wars 4.0 for TWC+TAD
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
hey dood i use to play this a while ago, is all the same and such; i remember i was ports. and explorer did work

pftq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »
Did you put it in My Games > AOE3 > RM3?

It shows up if you check "Custom Maps" when hosting a regular game.

Cherokee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
Alright got it, if you play with computers, does it automatically abandon colony?

Also me and some other guys have had problems, file sharing this with other aoe users online.

It won't transfer

Also when we all downloaded it from the website, same error came of everyon abandoning their colony :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:06:33 PM by Cherokee »

River_God

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
Yup. Loads fine, but you don't get anything. There's no terrain. I could try to help, but not with the encrypted version...

pftq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »
Just downloaded myself but am not getting the issue.  I will try to be online at various times the next two days to see if we can test this.

Just to clarify, you are loading this on TAD with TWC installed? The map terrain/abandon would occur if you mismatch game versions (2.x = AOE3, 3.x = TWC, 4.x = TWC+TAD).

For file-transfer, I can't really help there since the map wouldn't even be loaded yet.  I'm guessing something changed in the ES patches.  My best suggestion would be to just refresh the map when players are in the game room by changing the map to something else and then back to Fort Wars to see if they get the download prompt.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:07:24 PM by pftq »

Cherokee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
Yeah I have both expansions, and we did everything possible for the transfer including what you said :(.  Let me know next time you plan on going on and maybe see whats up.

Berten

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »
I'm so glad there is finally a fort wars version for TAD! I've been waiting for this day to come for several years! Great to have you back pftq, and I must say, i really love your maps.
However, when i tried to play the new Fort Wars yesterday, i had the same problem as the other guys. First of all it didnt download by entering the game, not even when you click custom maps again and then reselect Fort Wars. I eventually downloaded it from your website. Secondly, when i started the game it just showed a black map and all the players had abandoned their colony, it was exactly the same for a mate of mine...
But I have no doubt that this problem will be fixed, and I'm looking forward to start playing Fort Wars again. If you need someone to help you testing, just ask me.

Grtz

Berten

pftq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
Quick questions
- What civ were you playing?
- Was there a message in addition to the other players abandoning the colony?

pftq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Nevermind - issue fixed.  Redownload and enjoy! :)

http://www.pftq.com/fortwars/dl.php

AOE3 TWC+TAD -> Fort Wars 4.1
AOE3 TWC -> Fort Wars 3.4
AOE3 -> Fort Wars 2.5

I'm not sure why the map transfers are having trouble, but that's not something I can fix unfortunately (the map hasn't even been loaded yet, so it's not as if there is some code in the way).  I'm guessing when ES implemented online scenarios, they also broke something with custom RMS.

The way to remedy it though is to change the map when people are in the room and then change it back to Fort Wars.  They won't be able to click Ready right away because it is downloading but just give a moment or so afterwards and it should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:30:51 PM by pftq »

Berten

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 06:39:49 AM »
I tried the game and it works! However, when people join, they don't seem to be able to download the map. Not even when I press custom maps and select fort wars a second time...

pftq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Can't really emphasize more than what has already been said.  Deselect the Custom Maps checkbox completely and then recheck it - select Fort Wars.  Make sure the player is getting asked to download, and then wait up to a minute.  It does take a while to download, despite only being a hundred kb.

Berten

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 06:31:30 AM »
I tried it again and now it works! It looks wonderful again  ;) great job

DucDepuce2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
I found myself fixing Age of Empires after a little problem I had using a Napoleonic Age installer which had been on my desktop for longer than I can remember, when I found I couldn't get TWC or TAD working. I decided with only vanilla, why not enjoy some Fort Wars? I hadn't played in so long, and the thought excited me, especially after having an overall bad weekend so far. So I went to pftq.com, and head over to download it when I saw 4.1 just sitting there... At first I thought it was a joke, or a dream, but soon I found it was very much reality. I excitedly got on to my old monster of a computer which still had TWC and TAD working, and endured the (very slow) loading process.

I must admit, Fort Wars has always held a place in my heart, it is (in my mind) the best custom map/scenario ever to bless AOE. After all, it was Fort Wars that inspired me to make my own custom map clan, and also inspired me to become one of the best in the rankings.

This version still does not cease to amaze, while still a bit glitchy, it really brings me back to 4-5 years ago playing my first game against some Portuguese player who had cavalry with 100 range.

Well done pftq, and I am very glad to see that you're back  ;D

pftq

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »
Very kind words - thank you. It was those same longings for FW again that led me back. :)

It's a bit hard to imagine that the game's 4-5 years old now.  Still hasn't sunk in for me yet. :D